This article will discuss the problems found with social isolation and how it can lead to problems like eating disorders. We’ll talk about getting out of your comfort zone by traveling and ultimately making yourself happier.
Loneliness, social isolation, boredom and just generally feeling miserable? If you feel yourself falling into this trap you need to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse. As human beings we all crave attention, we want to talk to other humans, we want to laugh and enjoy life.
If we go too long without laughing, smiling, talking and being around friends we will find ourselves wondering on a slippery path into depression. Depression can typically cause or come with other disorders and health issues too.
So for example, there is a link between loneliness and eating disorders. If an individual is lonely, they will often binge eat or have purging behaviours because they feel emotionally and physically isolated. This act is their way of getting some form of self control and acceptance. This trait generally comes with a lot of other disorders too like alcoholism.
Think you’re already showing signs of an eating disorder? Check out https://www.newbridge-health.org.uk for more information.
Studies have shown that people with eating disorders tend to have a past of abuse, trauma, low-self esteem, a perfectionistic type personality or substance abuse.
Generally if individuals are feeling alone in the world, then they will start turning towards some of the things we’ve already mentioned above.
What do I do if i start feeling alone in the world?
Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone
Sometimes getting out of your comfort zone can be the best possible course of action. Join new groups, learn a new skill or even better? Go travelling. You’ll grow as a person, you’ll meet new people, you’ll engage in well needed social interactions that are essential to our health and well being.
Chances are not many people will recommend this but think about it this way. You know there’s a high chance of being happy, you’ll see beautiful new places, you’ll meet new people and it’s extremely exciting. Plus, you now have something to look forward to and something to strive for.
5 REASONS WHY TRAVELING SOLO CAN REMEDY LONELINESS
- You will have new interesting engagements and interactions that you would simply not find without traveling. Traveling requires interacting with taxi drivers, air hostesses, hotel staff etc.
- You will create shared experiences with people you meet. They will pull you out of your comfort zones even more and vice versa too. You will create a long lasting bond too.
- Chances are there are things in your current life and just drain your energy. That could be a job, toxic people or just difficult situations that are hard to get away from. Well, hard unless you jump on a plane and don’t look back.
- It doesn’t need to be as expensive as you’d think. Read the other blog we put up the other day on travelling without worrying about money.
- You can be genuine, you don’t need to worry about being judged. You can eat, dress, speak and express yourself in a way that’s free from any judgement. By exploring new places, trying new things and meeting new people, you can free yourself from fear, anguish and loneliness by traveling.